Top blog articles
Planning to renovate your garage? Changing the door may be a good starting point. If you are looking to give your garage a complete facelift without having to spend a lot, try installing sliding garage doors. Check this article out for a comprehensive guide on buying garage doors.
What are sliding garage doors?
As the name suggests, sliding garage doors slide horizontally to open the main entrance. This is one of the safer and easier to use garage doors available in the market. The door usually runs on a track. The door slides on the track and moves to a storage location when you open it. Sliding garage doors are made of multiple hinged panels. The panels allow the doors to bend and rotate at corners. The panels are interconnected on the door’s vertical axis. This technology makes the door extremely versatile.
Instantly estimate the cost of your remodel...
...or take your time to personalize dozens of choices to transform your house into your dream home.
Cost of sliding garage doors
The total cost of a sliding garage door is typically between $700 and $1500. The variation is due to the variety of materials and door types available in the market. The final price also depends on the complexity of the project. If you want an automatic door, the cost will further go up. Check out this article to compare automatic and manual garage doors. The screen can cost anything between $50 and $350. The most important thing to remember in this regard is to try and keep the storage for the sliding doors close to the entrance. This will help you save extra material costs and labor charges.
What About A Garage Door Seal? Take a look at Everything You Need To Know!
Sliding garage doors offer a wide range of advantages. Some of the more important ones are listed below.
- You will have a wider range of choices in terms of materials. The structure is extremely simple, making it suitable for timber, steel, and GRP.
- You can have either a single moving piece or two pieces moving away from each other, depending on your requirements.
- You can install the door internally as well as externally. However, this depends a lot on the available wall space of your garage.
- If you choose to go with a single piece door, you can practically design it any way you want. Usually, there are no restrictions on the weight, size, or thickness of the door panel.
- Sliding garage doors will help you save space, making it a versatile choice.
- Side sliding sectional doors allow partial opening. You can open the door as much as you want.
- The tracks are extremely durable and secure.
- The door can bend around corners, making it suitable for all types of garages.
Take a look at our guide on 5 Important Considerations for A Door Lock Replacement
- Irrespective of the type of door handle, sliding doors can prove to be heavy to operate in difficult weather conditions.
- Sliding door openings cannot be made weather tight. If you are looking for a more weather-tight garage door, this is not an option to go for.
- The tracks need a leveled ground. If the base of your garage is not leveled, this will call for additional investments.
- Sliding doors are not as cost-effective as some of the other garage door options.
What about garage floors? Take a look at our guide Types Of Garage Floor Tiles
Things to remember
- Understand your requirements correctly.
- Consider the weather conditions and locality before choosing the material type.
- Take quotes from multiple vendors before finalizing the deal.
- Keep the project simple to avoid extra costs.
- Keep the storage close to the garage entrance.
- Use our cost estimator to calculate the required investment for the project that you have in mind.
Sliding garage doors can add a rustic touch to any household. So, what are you waiting for? Install this reliable garage door option today!
Want to have all your facts straight on storm door installation? Take a look at our guide!
Read more: Sliding door maintenance tips